In advertising, bringing a brand to top of mind awareness is key. If your ad gets the following response, you should feel pretty damn good about your marketing skills.
1. People recognize it without actually seeing it: We’re all guilty of it. A commercial comes on and you go grab a soda, finish doing your make up, whatever. But, just because your full attention isn’t on the screen doesn’t mean you don’t know who’s invading your brain. Whether it’s the sound of Flo’s annoying voice, the whisper of “zoom, zoom,” or a familiar tune (did anyone else want “written in the stars” to be permanently removed from airwaves during the post-season?), you’re able to call out the brand immediately.
2. Pop Culture References: Aaron Rodger’s 13-0 Packers are making headlines, but his Discount Double Check move is making appearances (and references) are making SportsCenter broadcasts.
3. Flattery: see, copying. The Old Spice man has won the hearts of many, and won the (dis)honor of being used by other products, Velveeta Home Style meals as well as Dairy Queen have taken the “manly man” and “things you could only dream of” concept.
4. Halloween Costumes: Flo has quite the following. Progressive even sells Halloween kits to #DressLikeFlo. Not to mention, my beloved boyfriend plans on going as Discover’s favorite competitor (and star of a previous blog) Peggy.
5. Sell Outs. Not you silly – your product! If your ad is doing its job, your product will sell to the right people at the opportune time.