Lucky me, I got to go see the prescreening of “The Vow” last night with Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams. Clearly I cried, a lot, and then realized, “what a great blog topic!” The movie shows just how much can test those oh-so-important vows you take before saying “I Do.” It made me think, what vows are most important to me?
1. I Vow to Be Patient: Relationships are hard. There will be times when you want to just explode on your significant other and give up, but that’s where patience comes in. There is a reason that the bible verse starts “Love is Patient.” Without patience, you can’t survive yourself, let alone anyone else.
2. I Vow to Always Kiss You Goodnight: This sounds so ridiculous, but you never know when it’s going to be your last kiss. This also falls in line with never going to be angry. I’ve been frustrated before at bed time, but I hate going to bed angry. If you don’t wake up, would you want that to be your last memory?
3. I Vow to Respect You: Sure, it seems simple, but I think it’s something that can be overlooked. When you fall in love and into a relationship, sooner than later you become extremely comfortable with that person. And once you’re comfortable, you forget that they deserve just as much respect and understanding as anyone else. Respect means not using them as a punching bag, understanding their busy schedule, and always lending a helping hand.
4. I Vow to Make you Smile: Without a spark of chemistry, a relationship isn’t anything more than a friendship with someone you kiss. By always making the effort to do something that makes your other half feel special, chuckle, or get the “you’re ridiculous” response helps keep that spark alive.
5. I Vow to Love You, Through Everything: At the end of the day, tbe person you make your vows to is the person you want to be with for the rest of your life. A vow is important, and you need to remember that you took them because you found the one person who loves you more than yourself. Don’t take that for granted. Regardless of what mistakes they make, love them.
Go see “The Vow” for yourself and see what vows you find most important. Don’t break them. Love is the rarest gem of all, and once you have it, you’ll never want to give it away.
One reply on “Top 5: Vows to Take in Your Relationship”
good post! personally I’ve been terrorized a bit by your #2. I live in fear of losing my husband for some reason (maybe because I still can’t believe that I could really be married to him) and I am always afraid that I’m seeing him for the last time. he just left today on a business trip and all I can think is “just please come home safely.” it’s rough… sometimes I think I’m worse than the parent of a newborn. I worry too much… but on the plus side, I can’t stay mad for more than a few minutes, and I am champion at hugs, kisses, I love yous, etc before he goes to work, before we go to sleep, etc etc. He’s come to think I’m mad at him if I don’t say “walk safely” if he’s going to walk two blocks!