OK – I may take some heat for this, but as a social media manager, I literally spend 8 hours a day with Facebook and Twitter open on my desktop. I see EVERYTHING. So, I’m going to sum up the top 5 most ridiculous things I see:
1. “Going to X/Hanging with X”: OK – Isn’t that what foursquare is for? It drives me nuts to see a Facebook status say “going to the grocery store” or “hanging with my friend.” It’s the old-fashion (as in 2009) rule, if you don’t have anything interesting to say, don’t say anything at all.
2. Photos of themselves: Seriously, that was cool in 2005. Stop with the Instagram pictures of you posing in a mirror, or in a tanning bed, or in your car. It makes you look conceited and gives people the impression that you’re an attention whore.
3. “OMG this is so #Freaking cool, I’m going to post it from @Hootsuite to Facebook, too!” Learn to differentiate your networks. It kills me when I see this on a personal account, but brands? Good lord.
4. “LIKE if…” That is the quickest way to get me to defriend you or unfollow your brand. Just don’t.
5. Chain Letters: Why can’t these things die already? I still haven’t died from the letter I didn’t send in 7th grade. I found true love after midnight. If you found yourself posting something you forwarded when you were 12, STOP.
What pet-peeves do you have with social media? Comment below!
One reply on “Top 5: Posts I Wish People Would Avoid on Social Media”
LOL funny. How about when people go on hypocritical status tirades about someone who made a status about them.
Ex: “Wow some people need to get a life and stop making comments about other people on Facebook. If you have something to say about someone, say it to their face.” These types of people need to heed their own advice.