I’ve mentioned before that resolutions aren’t my thing. So looking ahead to 2017, I’d rather jot down some thought starters to help me get off on the right foot in the new year.
- Find your balance. It’s pretty bad when your masseuse, in the middle of your massage, bursts out, “Do you ever relax?!” Unfortunately, she’s right. The only time I feel truly relaxed is in yoga. My instructor, Thomas Fortel, begins every class talking about the chitta – the inner mind – and how important it is for us to keep balance between the inner body (peace) and outer body (social interaction). So for 2017, I need to work on finding my balance – in my schedule, in my home life, and most importantly, in myself.
- Put on some lipstick and pull yourself together. I think Elizabeth Taylor knew exactly what she was saying. As someone who wears the bare minimum when it comes to makeup, I often find myself feeling underdressed or worse, unpretty. I’m making it a goal for myself to wear lipstick at least 3x a week. Whether I’m in a slick black dress or a hoodie & jeans, a pop of color is key.
- I will hold myself to a standard of grace, not perfection. Has anyone read Emily Ley‘s “Grace Not Perfection?” I’m only half way through, but girlfriend gets it. If we keep focusing on perfection, we’ll never be happy. Simplifying what we can and focusing on the key moments in life are more important than spotless floors or well-behaved puppies.
- Wag more, bark less. With two dogs in the house, it’s easy to get frustrated at every unexplained bark or misplaced toy, but goodness gracious do these two love us unconditionally. There isn’t a better feeling in the world than walking through the door to a wagging tail. They’ve taught me it’s okay to put down the phone, roll around on the floor, and stop to smell the roses on every trip.
- You can do anything, but not everything. Amen. This is the background on my phone, work laptop and home computer. I may even get a print made to hang in my bathroom. No is not a bad word, and needs to be used more frequently as I work to free up my time for what matters most.
Do you make resolutions? Bucket lists? Let me know below in the comments!
4 replies on “2017: Thoughts & Things”
Ashley I truly feel you on all of these. I would love to check out a copy of the book you mention in nr.3. I will be putting it down with my good reads 🙂 And a pop of colour…maybe you have a point. I might have to give that a try too. My goal is basically the wag more one! See the positive in every day, and stay away from the negative.
I love the phrase “You can do anything, but not everything!” That was on the cover of my planner last year and I needed that daily reminder! This year I’m making 31 resolutions- one for each day of January that only has to be kept for 24 hours!
I LOVE this post, especially #5!
Yes! I love that. Wag more, Bark Less…. I need to remember that one 🙂