It’s been awhile since I last provided TV recommendations, so long that I hadn’t even featured Amazon Prime, and Disney+ hadn’t been announced.
So, in the spirit of time off for the holidays, I present your must-watch shows.
- Mindhunter: Season 1 left us with quite the cliffhanger, but Season 2 delivered and more. The story explores the infamous Atlanta Monster, while characters deal with their own monsters.
- Unbelievable: This might be one of the best shows of the year. I should warn you – you will be frustrated, annoyed, and even upset throughout – but it’s worth the watch.
- Stranger Things: If nostalgia is your thing, don’t sleep on Season 3. From the incredible 80s-style mall to the feeling of meeting friends at science camp, there’s a reason these kids have captured the nation.
- Marriage Story: Have a bottle of wine handy. It’s emotional, raw, and incredibly acted by all.
- Always Be My Maybe: I honestly loved this. It’s a classic rom-com with laughs, cries and lessons in love.
- Someone Great: This was my favorite movie of the year. It felt SO relatable – the feeling of leaving the friends and family you’ve known for something new, but having one last hoorah. Definitely a great one to watch with your girlfriends.
- The Disappearance of Madeleline McCann: Another day, another suspected murder documentary.
- The Movies That Made Us: I love getting a behind-the-scenes look at movies I’ve watched my whole life. Start with Home Alone (’tis the season, after all!)
- Jack Whitehall: Travels with My Father: A British comedian takes his straight-laced father on a gap-year trip around the world. Antics ensue.
- Abducted in Plain Sight: THIS. WAS. CRAZY. Seriously, the number of times Andy and I looked at each other in pure shock during this documentary was no less than 20.
- The Righteous Gemstones: I watched this series in one sitting, and have not laughed harder. If Kenny Powers became a preacher, this would be his show.
- Chernobyl: There is a reason this is on so many best-of lists. It’s the depressing, but incredibly well-told story of the Chernobyl disaster – including the details they didn’t want released.
- Big Little Lies: If you add Meryl Streep to a series, it’s bound to be good. Season 2 did not disappoint.
- The Imagineering Story: As a Disneyophile, it’s no surprised I’m obsessed with the Walt Disney Imagineers – the brains behind the theme parks and their attractions. This 6-part series goes through the making of each park, along with expansions, additions and updates in technology.
- High School Musical The Musical The Series: I didn’t expect to like this without Zac Efron, but alas, I do.
- All of them: SERIOUSLY. All of them.
- The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel: I have *not* watched Season 3 yet, but this story just continues to get better, so I’m confident in recommending it.
- Modern Love: Each episode is inspired by a story from the New York Times column. Not all are great, but I do recommend ‘When the Doorman Is Your Main Man,’ ‘When Cupid Is a Prying Journalist,’ and ‘Rallying to Keep the Game Alive.’ Just skip ‘So He Looked Like Dad. It Was Just Dinner, Right?’ – you’ll thank me later.
What are you watching? What’s on your must-watch list? Let me know in the comments below!