Every opening night, I make sure to be in my seat early enough to see the pre-game video for the first time. Saturday was one of those nights, premiering a video that is sure to give Blues fans chills. It brings together past and present, with a glimmer of hope for the future.
And after seeing a powerful special teams unit, offensive explosion from Vladimir Tarasenko and a solid (yet simple) effort between the pipes, that glimmer of hope could become more.
The St. Louis Blues have just released their 2012-2013 schedule, and it leaves me, the fan, with some observations.
(1) Home Opener: Thursday, Oct. 18 vs. Detroit – No one wants their home opener on a weeknight. While the opponent is desirable, it’s our third game of the season, which will cause a stir among fans (3-0: It’s our year! 0-3: Tickets for sale!). Bummer.
(2) Only 8 Saturday Home Games: OK – I have a 10-game weekend pack. While I’m pleased to see the Senators (I love hearing Oh Canada) and the Flyers, I’m curious to see how they will fill out the rest of the plan. For ticket guys reading this – I’d love the home opener. Thanks 🙂
4/13: Blackhawks (last game of the season)
(3) “Happy” Holidays: 10 back-to-back games in the month of December. Merry Christmas?
12/1 vs. Senators
12/2 vs. Flames
12/8 at Rangers
12/9 at Blackhawks
12/14 at Flames
12/15 at Blackhawks
12/20 at Coyotes
12/21 at Stars
12/26 vs Blue Jackets
12/27 at Avalanche
(4) Spring Fling: 9 home games in the all important month of March. Good news!
(5) Welcome Back, Winnepeg: Tuesday, Feb. 19 the Jets will head to St. Louis for the first time since the two faced off in a Central Division match up on April 8, 1996.
So, take a look at the schedule, and let me know if anything stands out to you. Let’s all cross our fingers for a not-so-awful slogan this season.